How to find us?
Address: 235 Grosvenor St., Hatfield 0028, Pretoria, SOUTH AFRICA
Eligibility for national visa
A multiple entry national visa can be issued, among others, to students who are enrolled in Lithuanian higher education institutions, to exchange students or teachers who are coming to teach in Lithuania, to researchers, to professional athletes and coaches, to applicants for residency permit, to Lithuanian work permit holders, etc. The Migration Department provides the complete list of the categories.
If you have been granted a residence permit in Lithuania and you are required to hold a visa to enter Lithuania, you may apply for a single entry national visa.
If you are planning to visit Lithuania for up to 90 days within 180 days and are not going to engage in work-related activities in Lithuania, you may have to apply for the Schengen visa.
If you are going to live in Lithuania by joining your family member, you are a person of Lithuanian decent, etc. you may have to apply for the residency permit.
Where to apply
We accept applications by appointment only (click here). We will cancel the appointment if you do not show up on time (you will not be let in to the building). If you make more than one appointment, we will cancel all of your appointments. If you make an appointment and do not cancel it on our system in case you cannot show up, that may result in the delay in obtaining another appointment.
How to apply
Applications are accepted by appointment only (click here). The embassy will cancel the appointment if you do not show up on time (you will not be let in to the building). If you make more than one appointment, all of your appointments will be canceled. If you make an appointment and do not cancel it on our system in case you cannot show up, that may result in the delay in obtaining another appointment.
You have to apply at the embassy in person.
If you previously received a national visa, the embassy may waive the requirement to appear in person (email us the request with the copies of your passport and Lithuanian visa). If the embassy waives the requirement, you must apply through a person who possesses your power of attorney, which is notarized and legalized (apostilled). If you previously applied and the visa was refused, you have to apply in person
You may apply no more than three months before the start of the intended visit.
The supporting documents such as birth, marriage, death certificates, notarized affidavits or notarized copies have to be legalized (apostilled in the countries of The Hague Convention of 1961). The supporting documents in the languages other than Lithuanian and English have to be presented with the official translation to Lithuanian or English.
If you fail to meet one of our requirements, the embassy may deem the application inadmissible or will refuse the visa. The embassy may request additional documents at any time while processing the application.
It takes 8 - 15 calendar days to process the application. In very rare instances, the embassy may extend the processing time to 30 or 60 days. There is no expedited procedure.
The embassy will digitally collect 10 fingerprints from a person over 11 years of age and will store them for 59 months.
Include your valid email address into your application - the embassy will use it to notify you about the passport being ready for collection. The collection can be done by appointment only. Should you prefer to arrange (yourself) courier services for the passport collection, you have to let us know during the interview.
Lithuanian national visa can be issued for up to one year.
You may request the embassy to stop processing the application before the decision is made only in written, in person and by the document collection appointment.
The enrollment in a college or university does not guarantee that we will issue the visa.
National visa holders may travel to other Schengen states for up to 90 days within any 180-day period.
The embassy will not discuss the grounds for the refusal, annulment or revocation of a visa. In accordance with the Law on Legal Status of Aliens of the Republic of Lithuania and the Law on Administrative Proceedings of the Republic of Lithuania, decision to refuse/annul/revoke a visa might be appealed to the Vilnius District Administrative Court within 14 days from a day of service of a decision.
The Embassy’s stamp in your passport indicates that you applied for the national visa “D” on a particular date and that the visa was not issued.
Document requirements for all applicants
- Application form (click here), filled in English or Lithuanian online, saved for submission, submitted, downloaded, printed and signed (for minors- signed by both parents). The application form is free of charge and has to be filled for every applicant separately. The failure to bring the required application form to the interview, will result in the inadmissibility of the application (click here for the example).
- Passport, issued within past 10 years and valid for at least 3 months beyond the intended departure from Lithuania. The passport has to contain two blank pages.
- Proof of legal status in South Africa (does not apply to South African passport holders). The Embassy accepts only valid South African visas and original South African residency permits.
- One recent color photograph. Do not staple!
- Proof of possession of travel medical insurance. The insurance shall be valid in all Schengen countries throughout entire validity of the visa and cover medical repatriation, urgent medical care and emergency hospital treatment, death-related expenses. The minimum coverage shall be EUR 30000. No deductibles (no excess)!
- Airline ticket and detailed itinerary including booking code, dates and flight numbers.
Additional requirements for a student enrolled at a higher education institution
- The request, drawn by a college or university in Lithuania, to issue you a multiple entry D National visa. The request has to be in electronic format and you have to provide the embassy with the unique request number. Proof of sufficient funds and (or) income of EUR 277,5 (as of 1 January 2019) for every month in Lithuania and EUR 555 for departure expenses. The original bank statements have to include all transactions for past 6 months.
- Original high school diploma.
Additional requirements for other categories of applicants
- Please email the embassy the basis for you application and we will respond with the requirements.