How to find us?
Address: 235 Grosvenor St., Hatfield 0028, Pretoria, SOUTH AFRICA
|Applications are accepted by appointment only. One appointment per person please!|
Where to apply?
If in your country of residence Lithuania does not have an embassy or consulate and is not represented by an embassy or consulate of another Schengen State, you may apply at any Lithuanian embassy or consulate. Otherwise, in your country of residence, you have to apply at the Lithuanian embassy or consulate or at the embassy or consulate of the representing Schengen State.
In Africa - the residents of South Africa should apply at the Embassy of Lithuania in Pretoria; the residents of Egypt should apply at the Embassy of Lithuania in Cairo. The residents of Burundi, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Nigeria (except Lagos) and Ruanda should apply at the Embassy of Belgium. The residents of Ghana should apply at the Embassy of the Netherlands. The residents of Kenya should apply at the Embassy of Spain. The residents of Malawi, Sudan and Uganda should apply at the Embassy of Norway. The residents of Algeria, Morocco and Tunisia should apply at the Embassy of Germany. The residents of Benin, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Congo, Djibouti, Gabon, Ivory Coast, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria (Lagos), Seychelles, and Togo should apply at the Embassy of France.
You have to apply at the Lithuanian Embassy if
- Lithuania constitutes the sole destination of the visit(s).
- the visit includes more than one Schengen country and Lithuania is the main destination of the visit(s) in terms of the length or purpose of stay.
- no main destination can be determined and the applicant intends to cross the border of Lithuania in order to enter the territory of Schengen area.
For the purpose of transit, you have to apply at the Lithuanian Embassy in the case
- of transit through Lithuania to a non-Schengen country.
- of transit through several Schengen countries when the applicant intends to cross the border of Lithuania to start the transit.
Important to know
If you fail to meet one of the requirements, the application will be deemed inadmissible or visa will be refused. We may request additional documents at any time during the processing of the application.
You have to apply in person (the minors have to apply with one of the parents/legal guardians). If we issued to you a Schengen visa within past 59 months, in exceptional circumstances, we may waive the requirement to appear in person.
We accept applications no more than three months before the start of the intended visit. If you hold a multiple-entry Schengen visa, you may apply before the expiry of the visa valid for a period of at least six months.
If you make more than one appointment, we will cancel all your appointments without warning.
We will collect 10 fingerprints digitally from the alien over 11 years of age and we will store them for 59 months.
You have to present the supporting documents in the languages other than Lithuanian and English with the official translation to Lithuanian or English.
We will make the decision on the application within 15 calendar days from the date of the lodging of an application. We may extend that period for up to a maximum of 30 calendar days in rare individual cases. Exceptionally, we may extend the period for up to a maximum of 60 calendar days.
We issue Schengen visas for one, multiple or two (in case of transit) entries. The period of validity shall not exceed five years.
The family members of EU/EEA citizens (children, parents or spouses) should present the documents to prove their family relationship (EU/EEA country passport and marriage/birth certificate)
After we process the application, you may collect your passport in person or arrange for the courier to collect (). We will not be responsible for the passport after it leaves the premises of the Embassy.
The list of third countries whose nationals or specific categories of such third country nationals who are subject to prior consultation can be found here.
The decision to refuse/annul/revoke a visa might be appealed to the Vilnius District Administrative Court within 14 days from a day of service of the decision. The Embassy will neither review nor discuss any questions related to the decision.
The possession of a visa does not confer an automatic right of entry and the holders of visa are requested to present proof that they fulfil the entry conditions at the external border.
General requirements for the submission of the documents
- Application form (click here), filled in English or Lithuanian online, saved for submission, submitted, downloaded, printed and signed (for minors- signed by both parents). The application form is free of charge and has to be filled for every applicant separately. The failure to bring the required application form to the interview, will result in the inadmissibility of the application (click here for the example).
- One recent color photograph. Do not staple!
- Passport, issued within past 10 years and valid for at least 3 months beyond the intended departure from Schengen area. The passport has to have two blank pages.
- Consular fee (non-refundable).
- Proof of possession of travel medical insurance to cover any expenses, which might arise in connection with repatriation for medical reasons, urgent medical attention and/or emergency hospital treatment or death, during the stay(s) in Schengen area. The insurance shall be valid throughout the territory of the Member States and cover the entire period of the intended stay or transit. The minimum coverage shall be EUR 30000. No deductibles (no excess)!
List of supporting documents
1. General requirements for all applicants
- round trip reservation and detailed itinerary including dates and flight numbers specifying the dates of entry and exit from the territory of the Member State;
- proof of sufficient means of subsistence during the intended stay: bank statement for the past three months, unless all the expenses are covered by the employer or the host;
- non-South African nationals: South African residence permit or temporary residence permit valid at least three months beyond the planned stay in the territory of the Member States or valid visa;
- if the applicant does not intend to return to South Africa but go either to his country of origin or another third county, a reasonable proof of their intention is needed e.g. work contract in the new destination, or proof of enrolment in university/school or a rental agreement.
- the minor’s birth certificate (unabridged)
- certified copies of ID/passport of both parents;
- if the minor travels alone: certified parental consent by both parents;
- if the minor travels with only one parent, the other parent must produce the certified consent. If only one parent has guardianship of the minor, the relevant court documents must be presented.
2. Document to be submitted when travelling for the purpose of tourism, business or study
- proof of accommodation for the duration of the intended stay. If accommodation costs are covered by another entity, this must be clearly stated in the invitation letter;
- if applicant is staying with a relative or friend, an invitation letter certified at the migration unit of territorial police office in Lithuania;
- in case of a pre-paid tour, details of the tour with a proof of payment to the tour operator should be provided;
- proof of employment: a letter from company stating monthly wages, continuing employment after period of leave and duration of vacation etc.;
- if self-employed: a certification from SA Companies and Intellectual Property Commission or SA Revenue Service is required;
- if student: Letter from school/college/university in South Africa certifying the student status of the applicant.
3. Documents to be submitted when attending specific events, such as conferences, workshops, short term studies and research, official meetings, cultural and sports events, exhibitions, fairs, training, etc.
- for persons attending sports events, exhibitions and fairs: presentation of a document proving the participation of the applicant in the event;
- for other events: an invitation from the host or a company in the Member State of destination is needed. The invitation should be certified at the migration unit of territorial police office in Lithuania;
- for participation in conferences: a proof of registration and payment;
- official visits: a note verbale from the Department of International Relations and Cooperation or any other relevant South African Ministerial Department is required.
- if expenses are covered by the host and/or by the employer this needs to be clearly established in the invitation letter or note verbale, as appropriate.
If the applicant intends to enter the territory of a Member State, however, short the stay will be (including change of airport, going from airport to train or bus station or even change terminals when that entails entering the territory of the Member State), he/she must apply for a short stay visa.
5. Airport transit